Monday, August 25, 2014

On the Flip Side

I took an unauthorised sabbatical from NovelSpaces last month, so unauthorised that I didn't even know it was happening. Thankfully I have not been fired. The dog didn't eat my homework and I can't say that I have been busy writing, but I have been busy furthering a cause that is very dear to me, namely, doing my part, through the publishing company CaribbeanReads, to get more multicultural books for, about, and by Caribbean nationals.

One of these books is Zapped! Danger in the Cell by co-NovelSpaces author, Jewel Amethyst, although you will find it listed under Jewel Daniel. She and her daughter wrote this delightful novel which brings the biology of the cell alive for children. We've had a great response to the book including from a professor at Johns Hopkins University who quoted: "I love it. What a wonderful concept and great read.  Congratulations.  I think it is really a great book for middle-schoolers.  It is a very complicated and complex topic.  You made it much more accessible."

There are two more on the horizon.

The Blessing of Charlie Sand was written by Amanda Smyth, a Trinidadian-Irish author whose first book, Lime Tree Can't Bear Orange was picked by Oprah Winfrey as one of the 25 must read books of summer in 2009. Charlie Sand is a lovely tale of the ebbs and flows of friendship between two boys is set in Trinidad. It will move readers, both young and old. This book will be released in November 2014.

Musical Youth is written by Antiguan author, Joanne Hillhouse who has been a guest author on NovelSpaces on more than one occasion. Her most recent adult novel, Oh Gad was recently featured on NPR's Sunday morning programme. Musical Youth placed second in the 2014 Burt Award for Caribbean Literature and will be released in November 2014. The photo on the left shows Joanne and I shaking on our agreement to have CaribbeanReads publish her manuscript.


There is more to come, but I will save a little for later.

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

zapped looks purty cool!

Liane Spicer said...

Congratulations on the new releases! Looking forward to reading them all.

Jewel Amethyst said...

Looking at all the other authors published by CaribbeanReads, I think I'm in good company.